Podcasting is the syndication of audio files using RSS for easy listening. It basically works the same as a standard RSS feed reader or news aggregator. The only difference is that the feed you subscribe to contains an audio file. So instead of reading your RSS feed, you can just listen to the contents of your feed using a reader or aggregator that supports podcasting.
You can also listen to your RSS contents through iPod or MP3 player. However, you don’t need to have an iPod to listen. Podcasts can be played on virtually any computer with the preloaded media players that are on most computers. It can be displayed on blogs or sites with clickable links to audio files. Just click on the provided links to listen. You also have the option to download them and play it later with your favorite audio player.
Uses of Podcasting
- Interviews – You can interview anyone you want and then deliver it over the internet to anyone who wants to listen in.
- Music – if you’re into the music industry you can easily provide promotional clips or piece samples
- Talk Shows – this includes sportscasts, business news, organizational news and other news coverage and commentaries.
- Audio training – provides an easier medium for instructional and informational materials
- Business tool – Podcasts can effectively be used as a business marketing and communication tool
- Increase your blogs audience – As a blogger, podcasting is another creative way to increase your blogs followers or readers