In both online and offline world, almost every person wants to start their own business and become their own boss and be free from the drudgery of a 9-5 job. However, so many folks are not certain how to do it exactly especially when it comes to the business of making money online.
To most beginners who don’t know a thing about internet marketing the pursuit of making money online is almost daunting. In the vast online world, you can find several kinds of businesses. For example, you can venture into service businesses, selling items, and online based home businesses, just to mention a few.
In this short report we are going to have a quick review on the process of starting your own online money making business. We will try to have a peek of some of the mystery out of the process. And by following this quick guideline, you will be up and running in very small time without having to shell out a huge sum of capital.
Choosing Your Business Model
Firstly, you have to determine what kind of business model you want to pursue . Is it something that will provide a service? Are you going to sell products? Basically, these are the two general kinds of online home base businesses we will be discussing in this article.
If you choose to provide a service, you have to ascertain what nature of service you will want to provide, and to what kind of people whom you want to provide to. Will it be provided to people who own websites? What market or niche you will be targeting? Will it be a service that any person could use or will it be confined to your own chosen market?
In the same way you have to ask similar questions if you choose to sell a product. You also have to determine what kind of product you are capable and comfortable to market. Will it be a product you sell and deliver locally, nationwide, or internationally?
If you choose worldwide, do you know anything about shipping your product overseas? The same applies to nationwide delivery. Do you know the costs associated with delivering your product everywhere in the nation you live in?
Once you have answered those questions, you will now have enough idea concerning how your online home business will finally be shaped.
Obtaining Your Domain Name
Next, you may want to obtain your own domain name. You can start with free domains such as Weebly, WordPress, or Blogger but you will have more control over your website if you get one of your own.
Most internet marketers believe their company brand is the best way to proceed for a domain name, notwithstanding, a generic domain name with keywords that are associated to your product or service will serve you much better. You could also register your company brand as a domain brand and point it to your website, but it is not essential.
The generic domain name could give you an edge with search engine traffic and when it comes to branding it could be more memorable. This is actually a big factor that will help you with search engine optimization, but it is an action you must need to work out constantly especially if you still starting.
For instance: makemoneyonline.com can be a better domain name than bizphere.com, even though the owner will spent thousands to promote and brand his brand as a make money website. Even makemoneybusiness.com is better because people will look for that.
The next step is you need to find excellent domain name registrar, not a cheap but crappy domain name registrar. Cheap means cheap in the area of domain names. Your domain name is crucial.
Spending $25 per year to registrar that offer more services and quality VS spending $10 or less at a cheap registrar is what we are talking about here. When that extra $15 per year is going to earn or break your home business, then maybe you have to not set up one.
After you have obtained your own domain name, you will need to purchase an internet web hosting service. Once more, cheaper is not better. There are good hosting services for $100 per year or even a tiny less. Anybody that is offering you hosting for less than that must raise a red flag.
Pick and buy your hosting for at least a year, just like you registered your domain name for. If you are going with a monthly scheme, you probably aren’t fully committed to your newly set up online home business.
Building Your Business Website
Now that you have your own domain name and web host for your new business site, the next thing you will have to consider is how you will build the site. There are three options for you here:
Option 1. You can study html and build your own.
Option 2. You can make use of a WYSIWYG editor to build your own site.
Option 3. You could hire a freelance web designer to build your website for you.
Let’s discussed these options one by one.
Option 1. If you have more time to spend for your business and if you are a technically inclined person, you can study html and build your own website for your home business. Obviously, there is a learning curve here but of the three I mentioned above this is the best option.
The only drawback with this option is it takes time to study. It also takes time building the web pages especially if you will begin from scratch. You will probably not be up and running in only some days with this option.
However, studying html and building your own sites will save you hundreds of dollars in the long run. You could easily create as many websites as you want. The more money sites you have in your portfolio, the more chances that you will have at least one big moneymaker.
In short, writing your own code means you could develop money sites as frequently as you wish and as many as you want without having to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars just to hire web designers.
Option 2. You can easily build your own online business website with a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage Extensions. These editors are similar to generating a Microsoft document. Everything is visual and you do not have to know html. The learning curve for these editors is much less as compared to learning to hard code your own website.
The drawback with this option is that it has limitations. Since the code for the site is auto-generated, it tends to produce bugs and errors. In addition to that, you must ensure your hosting has the correct file extensions to host your auto-generated website.
This option will get you up and running in just a short time. However, you need to hire someone at some point to fix the code for you so the page will always load properly and optimally.
How your website is viewed in various browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari etc.), how fast your website loads, and how your site appear on every computer screen are all design factors that makes the first impression to your customers, so weigh each option carefully.
Option 3. Hiring a professional web designer to create your online business site can be a good option especially if you planned thoroughly and have sufficient budget for your business. A professional web designer knows how to give your website the appearance and feel you wish it to have. You can actually be up and running in just a short time.
Be careful, however, in choosing a web designer. Here are some important things you need to keep in mind when hiring a professional web developer.
- You should register your own domain name yourself. If they say they will register the domain name for you, say no. Registering a domain name is not technically tough. You should do this yourself.Why you should do this? Okay, many sly web designers do some unethical practices. For instance they register the domain name at the cheapest price they can find and then charge you $100 or more per year for the domain name.
Worst, many of them register it in their own name and account! This will cause you big problems in the future if you ever decide not to use their services anymore. The domain name must be in your own name and account always.
- Ask them what software or application they are using to develop their client’s site. If they are going to make use of Adobe Dreamweaver, FrontPage or other WYSIWYG editor, you may as well develop your own online business site professionally using these site builders. If they can’t write html from scratch or edit the codes, then they should not be in the web developing and design business.
- Be wary if they offer to run your business website for you and charge you every month. Avoid getting into yearly contracts as well. Their only job is to build the pages for your online business site and nothing more.Keep in mind that most web designers are simply designers. They may know nothing or just a little about internet marketing, search engine optimization, online business management, or anything else. Employ a web designer to design your pages and other freelancer to do what they are excellent at.
- Be careful when they offer you additional features that you don’t really need. Just like real estate brokers or any other salesmen in the offline world, they will try to persuade you to add on a lot of bells and whistles that is not really necessary.
- Be aware what kind of website you want them to build for you and you should have the idea of its corresponding charge. For example, a brochure site is one that is basically designed to merely let your prospects know what products or services you offer and to contact you to get more info.This kind of site generally consist of a main page or the home page, an about page, and the contact page. You should not be paying more than $500 with this.
- If at some point you want to add the feature so that customers can purchase your product or service by paying through your online business website, then it becomes an e-commerce website. As said earlier, be wary for the bells and whistles that real estate brokers or used car salesman tries to sell you.For instance, if the web designer tries to offer an e-commerce script that accepts online payments and then charge you hundreds of dollars for it then you should look for other options. There are a lot of free services that you can find online.
If you are still staring out one of the best option for your e-commerce site is PayPal. It is easy and free to get a PayPal account. Once you have your own premier or business PayPal account, you can quickly generate your own buy buttons and insert them into your website with the code they provide. You don’t need to consult an html guru here.
One of the advantages of PayPal is that you can configure shipping costs and every other e-commerce needs through PayPal for free. They do charge some percentages per sale, but the services they provide are worth it.
Furthermore, they don’t require setup fee or monthly fee like other e-commerce services online. Now, if your sales volume reaches into thousands of dollars per month, you may look for a better solution, but until then, use PayPal.
- An used saying one of those who make cash on the internet is “You develop the primary one for show and remainder for dough”. What that means is this; you will likely be very concerned concerning the find of your site in the starting, notwithstanding arrangement is the LEAST important factor of your home web business.Lots of will disagree, but who cares. Let me repeat, arrangement is the LEAST crucial factor of your home internet based business. A beautiful site with no traffic gets uglier by the day. An ugly site with visitors that makes dollar gets more beautiful by the dollar.
Start a total budget for your home internet based business. Spend no more than 30% of that budget on design. Spend remainder on promoting your site, advertising, and other actions that bring you customers. Don’t let some designer talk you into thinking his arrangement is more vital than your home business’s success.
- Here’s an old saying among those who make a living online “You build the first one for show and the rest for dough”. What that means is this; just like many make money online beginners you will likely be very anxious about the beauty or appearance of your website. You should understand, however, that design is the least important aspect of your online business website.For sure many folks will disagree with this idea, but who cares. Let me reiterate, design is the least important aspect of your online business website. You see, a beautiful or super elegant website without a single visitor or zero traffic gets uglier by the day. An ugly website with a lot of visitors or high traffic that makes money gets more beautiful by the dollar.
As an entrepreneur you should allocate a total budget for your own online business. Use only less than 30% of that budget on your website appearance and design. Use the most of your budget on marketing your website, promotions, advertising, and other actions that will bring you more visitors and customers.
So in essence what we are trying to say here is that don’t let some designer convince you into thinking that his/her design is more important than your online business’s success.
Finally, now that you already obtained your own domain name, your own web hosting, and a business website, you need to generate traffic and get those customers. So, where do you get them? You already have your own site up and running, won’t they only find it now?
The answer is: they will never find your site until you start promoting it.
Generating Traffic To Your New Business Site
There are a lot of ways you can do to drive traffic to your website. You can also find a lot of tools to get targeted visitors. Run away from all the traffic scams out there that claim they can send thousands or even millions of hits to your website for just a small fee.
Be careful with this since there are so many traffic scams on the internet. This kind of traffic is usually auto or robot generated one and will only strain your web hosting resources and will not help you sell your product or service.
Basically, you can generate traffic to your site paid or free. Paid traffic can bring you immediate results but can also drain your budget if you don’t know what you are doing. Free traffic can take a long time before seeing any sale but the production can be recurring.
Paid Traffic. The most popular source of paid traffic is through Adwords from Google or Yahoo Ads from Yahoo. This is a highly targeted traffic because it sends you visitors from people who search for specific keywords. You must, however, be extra careful about bidding on these and set your spending limits low until you see which keywords are paying off for you.
Another source of paid traffic is purchasing links on highly popular blogs or websites that are pertinent to your product or service. It is best to start with a small text link and a small budget until you finally find which of those links are actually bringing you traffic that is converting to sales.
If one of your advertising campaigns is giving you sales and profits, expand on that one. If one is not producing you anything, simply stop using it. It’s like running an ad on your local newspaper, TV station, or on radio. If it isn’t bringing you business, you get rid of the advertisement. You then continue on the ones that is making you real money. It’s just a rinse and repeat process.
Free Traffic. There are many ways online to which you can bring free traffic to your online business site. If we have to categorize it, then there are two major source of free traffic. One is through Search Engine Marketing and the other is through Networking on popular Social network sites such Myspace, Zanga, Facebook, and Twitter.
Another old but still working method of generating traffic to any site is through article marketing. This usually entails writing articles on topics related to your products or services like the one you are reading now and then submitting it to different article directories or websites. A link or two to your website is included in the article’s bio page.
Article directories such as Ezine Articles, Articles Base, and Article Alley provide your submitted articles to thousands of publishers and other webmasters that want to use your article as free content for their website. Each of your articles that get published on other blogs or sites will create a backlink to your website.
When visitors of that site read your article they may follow your embedded link and see what you have to offer on your business site. The backlinks created from that site will also help boost your search engine rankings thereby making your site easy to find by web surfers who are interested in your product or service.
Posting or leaving comments in related forums and blogs with your website link included in your signature can bring more targeted traffic to your website. Just keep in mind that you have to follow every guidelines and posting rules in every forum or blog you intend to get your links published to avoid yourself being banned and creating bad image for your site.
As a final note, more traffic does not mean better income. It is the targeted traffic that means much more income. Targeted traffic are those that highly converts to sales. It creates more sales more often than traffic you might get from unrelated websites, so stay focused on blogs and forums that relate to your topics.
So that’s it for now folks, I hope you have learned some valuable information from this short report and that you have gained some idea on how to start making money online.